Project Administration Handbook
The purpose of this page (and its children pages) is to anticipate a new Taylor
Family Genes project administrator replacing the present one. He or she will
need guidance. (Heaven knows, the old one did, and had a hard time finding
The information here is to aid the process of acquiring the knowledge
and understanding he or she will need.
See this also.
Project Admin Functions
Well divide the functions into two kinds:
- Managerial, and
Managerial functions are often ignored in talking about project
administration, but they are critically important and do not get done
without attention. They
are roughly the same for any undertaking which
involves many people. they include the general categories of:
- Planning, setting a course of action and includes
- Forecasting, predicting/estimating the future environment
- Programming, developing action plans to accomplish objectives
- Scheduling, setting a time sequence of actions
- Budgeting resources
- Organizing, arranging and relating the work in order for it to be done
by people (or machines)
- Recruiting co-admins
- Delegating tasks, authorities & responsibilities
- Leading, influencing people to take effective action
- Developing people
- Controlling, assessing and regulating work in process and assessing the
- Monitoring performance
- Recognizing problems
The project administrator needn't perform all these functions; some may be delegated.
he or she -- as the leader -- must ensure that the functions are performed.
Technical functions are peculiar to DNA genealogy projects. They include:
- Interpreting results
- Matching & grouping
They are discussed more fully in
Project Admin Tasks
See this page.